What happens after Form 6a has been issued?

The landlord will need to apply to the court for a possession order on Form N5. However, this is not necessarily a guarantee that the tenant can be evicted. The landlord will need to provide the following documents to the court as well:

  • An up-to-date 10-year energy performance certificate(EPC)
  • A gas safety certificate
  • A 'How to Rent' book
  • A signed copy of the tenancy agreement with tenancy dates, tenant information and property details
  • A copy of the Section 21 notice
  • A copy of the details of the tenancy deposit protection scheme
  • A copy of a landlord licence for the rental property

When the landlord’s claim is received by the court, the tenant or tenants will be informed by the court in writing and he, she or they will be given up to 14 days in which to reply. Sometimes, a tenant claims that he or she has not received the required documents. If this happens, the landlord may find the possession order is rejected.